Thursday 14 March 2013

What I'm Listening To Today


Today I've been listening to Roberta Flack's version of 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow'.

Roberta is probably better known for her rendition of 'The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face' but I discovered this song on 'The Best of Roberta Flack' album.

What a stunning version of this absolute classic.

'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow', also known as 'Will You Love Me Tomorrow', written by Gerry Goffin and Carole King and first recorded in 1960 by The Shirelles, was originally quite an upbeat pop song and is currently ranked as the 110th greatest song of all time, as well as the best song of 1960, by Acclaimed Music. But for me Roberta Flack's version, her own arrangement, takes the song to a whole new level.

Her effortless jazz vocals are so expressive and show true conviction. You really believe she means every word.

The subtle introduction of the strings just reinforces the sheer beauty of the song.

If you listen to the lyrics and the way Roberta portrays them so convincingly its clear to see why this version of the song could have such a powerful effect on our human emotions.

I tend to exaggerate when it comes to how much I like music and almost every song or piece of music I hear is 'the best thing I've ever heard!' but I'm certainly not exaggerating when I say this version of this song is one of my favourite songs of all time.

If you haven't heard it already, check it out below, but before you do I'd like to suggest you turn off all the lights and listen through headphones to give the song your full undivided attention.


I'd love to hear what you think so if you have time, leave me a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment